Issue No. 25
The Power of Thought
Table of Contents
- Why Important
- Thought Forms and Waves
- Control of Thought
- Helping Others With Thought
I. Why Important
"As a man thinketh, so is he." This age-old statement expresses the supreme importance of having control over our thoughts are the key to our destiny. When our thoughts are indiscriminately molded by our environment, then we lose control over the shaping of our own future. More than this, our thoughts also influence others, and hence must be careful in handling them.
Sow a thought, reap a habit; sow a habit; reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny. -- Anonymous
Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve. -- Napoleon Hill
All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become. -- Buddha
II. Thought Forms and Waves
Thoughts have two kinds of effects:
- Effects on oneself - it alters the composition of the mental body, and hence changes the mental and emotional habits that govern his or her daily life. Furthermore, by the law of karma, thoughts directed towards others will tend to be reabsorbed, and hence will produce a corresponding effect on oneself. Thus it is said: "Curses (and blessings) come home to roost."
- Effects on others - these are of two kinds:
- Thought waves - which radiates from the person with a strength and distance that depend upon the intensity and clarity of the thought itself. We constantly fill the atmosphere with the quality of our own thoughts, and influence others this way. An evil thought-wave can be picked up by others and unconsciously influence their motives and actions. A beneficial thought similarly influences.
- Thought-forms - these are actual entities or objects which are formed by the quality and intensity of the thought, animated by what is called "elemental essence" around us. Its quality determines the color, while the nature determines the form, and its definiteness determines clearness of outline.
It is well known that the thought-form of an idea may be projected on to a blank paper and there become visible to a hypnotized person. Or it may be made so objective that the hypnotized person will see and feel it as though it were an actual physical object. - Geoffrey Hodson
A thought-wave influences by the quality of its thought, and thus has a more general effect on others, while a thought-form influences by the definiteness of the thought, thus more focused and specific in its effect.
III. Control of Thought
Thought therefore needs to be controlled and managed by us, for it in turn controls our habits, attitudes and behavior. Here are some steps one can do to transform the quality of one's thinking:
- Read every day on selected lofty subjects - such as inspirational books and magazines, self-improvement, etc. Some people do this every night before sleeping. Similarly, cut down time devoted to reading materials that tend to arouse unwanted emotions and attitudes in oneself, such as sensational tabloids or novels.
- Be constructive in your conversations - avoid destructive gossips, or dwelling on the misfortune of others. Discuss about lofty ideas, and do not join or encourage talks that tend to be malicious and destructive.
- Be aware of your reactions to stimuli - such as advertisements, news, etc. and decide how to react.
Notice if an advertisement creates a desire in you, which is unwanted, such as cigarette or sex. Notice the sensations and urges that are aroused in you. Just observe them without judgment or condemnation. Such awareness enables us to screen or control the formation of habitual thought patterns that are undesirable.
Practice being focused in your thought - be one-pointed in whatever you do by setting definite targets for your tasks and being aware of distractions. This makes our mental and emotional body our instruments, rather than our masters.
Practice meditation and silence - this creates a deeper center from which we are able to exercise mastery over our thoughts and habits.
- Bridging misunderstandings - Whenever there is misunderstanding with another person, devote five minutes every day to send sincere thoughts of love and caring to the other person. Visualize the person as cheerful and inwardly strong, and feel the warmth and glow of your heart enveloping him with affection. Do this to any enemy and you will experience wonders. Remember that thoughts are things.
- Helping and Healing - When someone is troubled or ill visualize the person as healthy, cheerfully serene and inwardly strong, as mentioned above. You don't even have to know what is the nature of the illness or the problem.
By a thought a man can kill; by a thought a man can heal a disease; by a thought a man can influence a crowd; by a thought a man can create a visible illusion which shall deceive other men and lead them astray . . . it is necessary, before these added powers come within his reach, that he should learn to check all that is evil in them. -- ANNIE BESANT
Copyright 1995. Permission to reprint is granted provided acknowledgment is made to:email@example.com
"If five percent of the people work for peace, there will be peace."
Theosophical Society in the Philippines, 1 Iba St., Quezon City, Philippines